Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Windows 8 Minesweeper Achievements & Medals

So new Windows 8 has a much cooler Minesweeper with Adventure Mode and Achievements.
Being the fan that I am, I decided I will sacrifice my statistics so I can complete all the achievements and medals.

Achievements  (these are trivial):
  1. Savior of the World: Just win a game on each board size (Getting this will probably get you the other 3 achievements).
  2. Good Start: Just complete a minefield (easy mode is fine)
  3. Good Memory: Completed a minefield without using flags (do this in easy mode)
  4. Happens to Everybody: Trigger your first mine
Medals:
  1.  Click Click BOOM! : Trigger a Mine on 2nd click, you can do this consciously or just get it naturally while attempting other medals.
  2. The Sea of Flags: Just flag 100 mines. It can be done over multiple boards.
  3. Burgeoning Explorer: Uncovered 1000 squares. Again, can be done over multiple boards. 
  4. Quick and Easy: Win East in under 30 seconds.
  5. One With the Chord: Win 3 games where the only moves you made were Chords and Flags (with exception of 1st tap). Trick here is win 3 this way, no taps allowed. I just did 3 easy modes. The wins don't have to be consecutive, but it's better to do them in a roll so you don't lose count. And if you're wondering what Chord is, it's when you mark all the mines for a number and you click both left and right mouse button together. For example: if there's a # 2, mark the 2 mines it's touching, then duo button click the #2 and the 4 that are not marked mines will be clicked.
  6. I Guess I Was Right the First Time: Mark a mine w/ a flag then changing to question mark, then unmark it and detonate.
  7. Flag It Up: Disarmed  1000 mines. Once again, can be done over multiple boards.
  8. Bug Collector: Found 50 ladybugs without disturbing them. Change the theme to garden and flag 50 ladybugs, can be done over multiple boards.
  9. Oh COME On!!!!: Thank you poster in the comment section! This achievement is annoying... because I think it's written in counter-intuitive way... but anyway, make sure you mark the "safe" tile with a mine flag and explode the final mine. So the final picture will be all mines correctly marked except for 1 (will have X on it).
The rest of the medals are for adventure mode. Basically tedious but doable. I'll update this another day.

9 comments:

  1. I'm having the same issue with the "Oh COME On!!!!" achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem. No matter what combination I've tried, nothing seems to unlock the achievement. Leave it to Microsoft to create an unwinnable achievement called "oh come on!". Maybe it's an inside joke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! If it's an inside joke, I'm definitely giggling, since attempting to get this achieve is making me say "Oh COME On!!!!"

      Delete
  3. For 'oh come on' flag everything correctly. the last flag should be a non-mine, then click on the mine. the key is flagging a non-mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason the "I guess I was right the first time" achievement isn't working for me. I "Question mark" a tile I KNOW has a mine, then cancel the question mark and detonate it immediately. I've tried question-marking a vague tile and successfully detonating said tile as well, but I can't get the achievement. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much how I got it. Sometimes the system lags and you have to wait a while before the achievement actually triggers.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for explaining what a chord is. I'd never had thought that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing useful image about minesweeper
    how to play minesweeper

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned the "Flag It Up" medal can only be earned by disarming mines in Modern Theme. I was playing in Garden Theme. I didn’t switch the theme back to Modern after I earned the “Bug Collector” medal. (I liked the dancing ladybugs.) After a while, I realized the “Flag It Up” counter stopped accumulating points. I was stuck at 543/1000 for ages. I could see I was disarming mine on the statistics box after each game. The "100K Club" medal point counter was accumulates points. I was totally confused. After I earned “100K Club” medal, I was inspired to swich the theme back to Modern. Voila! The “Flag It Up” counter started accumulating points.

    ReplyDelete